Vote-bank politics led to tribal`s neglect: Modi
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
Modi on Sunday accused the Congress government of playing
vote-bank politics, which, he said, led to the neglect of
tribal regions of Gujarat.
Speaking at the end of one-day Sadbhavna fast at
Rajpipla, Narmada district, Modi also said the Congress only
tried to divide the country and state on caste/communal lines
when in power.
"Gujarat`s development model is now capable of pulling
the nation out of the atmosphere of gloom and dejection that
prevailed till recently," Modi said, addressing the gathering
which included over 8,000 people who had joined in the fast.
"The past rulers have relied on the politics of vote-bank
since Independence... trying to divide the country and state
by caste and community, oblivious to real problems of people.
"The tribal communities have borne the brunt of the
neglect by previous governments. The Congress, during 40
years` rule in Gujarat, did not open a single school with
science stream in the tribal areas," Modi alleged.
His government had opened at least one higher secondary
school with science stream in every tribal taluka, Modi said.
Today`s was Modi`s ninth one-day fast at district-level
since he launched the Sadbhavna Mission in September.
The event was attended by people from villages in Nandod,
Tilakwada, Dediapada and Sagbara talukas of Narmada district,
which is a tribal belt. On the occasion, he also announced
development works of Rs 333 crore for the district.
The Congress also held a counter-fast near the district
panchayat office at Rajpipla, which too drew a good response.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...