Vote-bank politics led to tribal`s neglect: Modi
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
Modi on Sunday accused the Congress government of playing
vote-bank politics, which, he said, led to the neglect of
tribal regions of Gujarat.
Speaking at the end of one-day Sadbhavna fast at
Rajpipla, Narmada district, Modi also said the Congress only
tried to divide the country and state on caste/communal lines
when in power.
"Gujarat`s development model is now capable of pulling
the nation out of the atmosphere of gloom and dejection that
prevailed till recently," Modi said, addressing the gathering
which included over 8,000 people who had joined in the fast.
"The past rulers have relied on the politics of vote-bank
since Independence... trying to divide the country and state
by caste and community, oblivious to real problems of people.
"The tribal communities have borne the brunt of the
neglect by previous governments. The Congress, during 40
years` rule in Gujarat, did not open a single school with
science stream in the tribal areas," Modi alleged.
His government had opened at least one higher secondary
school with science stream in every tribal taluka, Modi said.
Today`s was Modi`s ninth one-day fast at district-level
since he launched the Sadbhavna Mission in September.
The event was attended by people from villages in Nandod,
Tilakwada, Dediapada and Sagbara talukas of Narmada district,
which is a tribal belt. On the occasion, he also announced
development works of Rs 333 crore for the district.
The Congress also held a counter-fast near the district
panchayat office at Rajpipla, which too drew a good response.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam