Vote bank politics must be stopped: Modi
Godhra: Hitting out the ruling Congress party, Narendra Modi said on Friday that the politics of vote bank must be stopped if growth and development has to take place in the country.
Against the backdrop of his Sadbhavana fast in Godhra, the Gujarat Chief Minister forcefully pointed out that it was his state which made the people aware of what the concept of ‘growth’ really was.
“Politics revolved around the issue of vote bank. It was vote bank which defined development. Everything was connected to the vote bank. Some people did benefit but the majority suffered. The vote bank was consolidated but the country suffered. This attitude of throwing crumbs at the people must be stopped,” he said without mincing his words.
Coming down heavily on the Centre for the soaring
inflation, Modi said, "Politicians, who are part of the Union
Government, had promised the people, during their election
campaign, that they would tame inflation within 100 days, if
they came to power. However, they were not able to do so."
Modi further said, "For the first time, development
has become a central issue of the nation. It is due to Gujarat
government and the work done by the six crore people over the
last 10 years that development has become a major issue in the
Modi emphasized that there was two types of politics – one of divide and rule and the other of everyone together for growth. He goaded the people to choose what they wanted in the long run.
“I challenge the Congress party to come to the battle field if you have any concern for the farmers of this country,” the Gujarat Chief Minister dared the government at the Centre. He added that agricultural growth in Gujarat has crossed 11 percent. He asked the centre to compare it with the national growth.
On Gujarat he said, “The state has its own identity on the world map today. Gujarat told this country what the concept of development and growth is. People did not know what growth meant. The face of the state has changed in the last 15 years.”
He went on, “When any talk of Gujarat takes place, the talk veers towards development and growth.”
Modi further said that during the ongoing election
campaign in Punjab, the former chief minister of Punjab Capt
Amrinder Singh, a Congressman, promised that if he was voted
to power, he would take his state to the same heights as of
Taking a dig at the Gujarat Congress, Modi said, he
understands the feelings of the Congress, "who have lost
everything after being in power for 40 years."
"Their condition is like a severed tail of a lizard,
which does not stop moving (for a while), even after it is cut
off," he said.
Modi further said, "Godhra has a history of communal
violence and there was a time in 1985, when there was a curfew
for 300 days. But curfews and riots have vanished since the
last 10 years. It is due to the atmosphere of peace, unity and
brotherhood in the state, which has resulted in development."
Modi said, his Sadbhavna Mission would end the vote
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark