Voting in Guj municipal corporation polls lacklustre
Ahmedabad: Voting for the elections of six municipal corporations in Gujarat being held on Sunday was lacklustre in the first couple of hours.
In the first two hours, average six to ten percent voting was recorded in all the six municipal corporation areas of the city. Queues were witnessed in only some voting booths.
Senior leaders of Congress and BJP also exercised their franchise.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi told reporters, "I have cast my vote today on 10-10-10 (October, 10, 2010) at 10.10 am."
BJP has been winning all elections in the state for the last 15 to 20 years. The party is wedded to development and people of Gujarat will vote for development this time
also. We will win this elections," Modi further said.
Congress leaders like Narhari Amin have also voted in
the early hours of the day.
Over 2,100 candidates are in fray for more than 558 seats for elections in six municipal corporations in Gujarat as ruling BJP and the Opposition Congress had campaigned
extensively and had also roped in national leaders for local polls.
All the six municipal corporations - Ahmedabad, Surat, Rajkot, Vadodara, Jamangar and Bhavnagar were won by the BJP in the last elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day