Weapons were given to Gujarat police by SIB: CBI chargesheet
Ahmedabad: The weapons used in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case were provided to the Gujarat police by the Subsidiary Intelligence Bureau (SIB), the first chargesheet filed on Wednesday by CBI in a special court here said.
"Girish Singhal, who was the first IPS officer to be arrested in the case, went to the SIB on instructions from D G Vanzara and collected the weapons," the chargesheet, filed yesterday in the court of Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate H S Khutwad, said.
The chargesheet further stated that Singhal later handed over the weapons to Nizamuddin Saiyed who, in turn, handed them over to Tarun Barot. Saiyed was Barot`s commando.
"Police commando Mohan Kalasawa was made to fire several rounds from an AK 56 rifle (planted on Amjadali Rana), on the official Gypsy vehicle of N K Amin. This AK56 rifle was brought to the scene by Tarun Barot. After firing from this weapon, it was placed near the dead body of Amjadali," it further said.
Kalaswa was a police commando in the crime branch at that time and died in 2007. He has not been chargesheeted by CBI.
CBI`s investigation has shown a total of 70 rounds were fired by five Gujarat cops from two .38 revolvers, a 9 mm pistol, three service rivolvers, one stengun and one AK-47 to kill Ishrat, besides three others who were in their prior custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report