Why Centre keen about CBI probe in Ishrat case, asks Guj govt
Ahmedabad: The state government today
filed an affidavit in the Gujarat High Court questioning the
keenness of Central government for a CBI probe on Ishrat Jahan
and three others encounter.
In an affidavit filed by secretary of home department
T S Bist before the division bench of Justice Jayant Patel
and Justice Abhilasha Kumari, the state has strongly objected
to transfer of probe to CBI in the case, which has been
demanded by kin of those killed in encounter.
In serious terrorist attacks, like the attack on Indian
Parliament, 26/11 terror attack on Mumbai, Akshardham
terrorist attack case or the Ahmedabad serial blast case, the
police of respective states have investigated successfully,
the affidavit said.
Also in Gujarat the number of encounters is very less
as compared to other states bordering Pakistan, it added.
"The Centre may be called upon to point out as to in
how many cases in these states it has shown its keen
overzealous preparedness to take up investigation through
CBI," the affidavit stated.
Ishrat was gunned down by Gujarat police along with
Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali
alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani in
Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried