Wife of Haren Pandya for re-investigation in his murder case
Ahmedabad: Wife of slain former Minister
of State for Home Haren Pandya has requested Gujarat Chief
Minister Narendra Modi to call for re-investigation from CBI
into her husband`s murder amid fresh evidence unearthed by it
in Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
In March 2003, Pandya was murdered outside Law Garden
here where he had gone for a morning walk and his body was
found inside his car. Investigations in the case were handed
over to CBI which managed to arrest the killers.
In a letter to Modi dated September 2, Pandya`s wife
Jagruti, referring to the statement of one of the witness in
Sheikh fake encounter case Azam Khan to CBI, said ," I request
Gujarat government to ask CBI to re-investigate Haren Pandya`s
murder case so as to know who had actually ordered his
assassination, for what reasons and who have been shielding
them till now," Jagruti said.
"Soon after the arrest of Deputy Commissioner of
police, crime branch, Abhay Chudasama in the Sohrabbuddin
case, Azam Khan has said that Chudasama had protected
Sohrabuddin from being indicted in the Haren Pandya case. This
means that though the killer of Haren have been caught and
convicted, the masterminds are still at large," Jagruti said
in the letter.
One of the main accused in the Sohrabuddin case,
suspended IPS officer D G Vanzara, had initially supervised
investigations in the Haren Pandya murder case till it was
handed over to the CBI.
She also disagreed with findings of CBI probe which
said that Pandya was killed because he was anti-Muslim.
"The first CBI investigations showed that terrorists
killed him because they believed he was anti-Muslim. But, I do
not think this reasoning was true. Haren had never done
anything that could tag him as communal," Jagruti said.
Haren Pandya was Minister of State for Home in the
Keshubhai Patel government. He was replaced by Gordhan
Jhadafia after Modi was appointed as chief minister in 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal