Will evaluate Modi visa application on merits: US
Washington: Without directly naming the Gujarat Chief Minister, Narendra Modi, a senior State Department official has said that the US will evaluate any visa application based on merits and according to US laws.
"As you probably know, we don`t get into questions of visa matters on any particular individual. That said, we of course will evaluate any visa application based on its merits and in accordance with US law, so I don`t have anything further on that specifically," the Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs Mike hammer told foreign journalists at a news conference on Thursday.
Hammer was responding to a question on Narendra Modi in the aftermath of Britain taking decision to end its decade long policy of no-contact with him, which it took after the communal riots in the Gujarat a decade ago.
"Is there a shift in the US policy towards Modi, or not yet?" Hammer was asked in view of the latest decision taken by the British government.
The British decision to resume its contact with Modi was noted in several major American media outlets.
"Being a business-friendly government official in one of the world`s fastest- growing economies can erase a lot of political baggage," The Washington Post said referring to the British decision, adding that this may just be the beginning of an end to his international pariah status.
"I have asked the British High Commissioners in New Delhi to visit Gujarat and to meet the chief minister and other senior figures in the state," Hugo Swire, the new British minister in charge of India, has said in a statement.
"This will allow us to discuss a wide range of issues of mutual interest and to explore opportunities for closer cooperation," the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert