`Will implement SC judgement on Lokayukta soon`
Gandhinagar: With the Supreme Court on Wednesday upholding Governor Kamla Beniwal`s decision to appoint Justice (retd) RA Mehta as Gujarat Lokayukta, the Narendra Modi government said it would soon implement the apex court judgement.
"We will soon implement the Supreme Court judgement on Lokayukta," state Law Minister Bhupindersinh Chudasama said here.
"The Supreme Court has accepted Gujarat government`s contention that Governor has to act as per the advice of the Council of Ministers," he added.
A detailed reaction on the issue could only be given after reading the judgement, Chudasama said.
In a setback to the Gujarat government, the Supreme Court upheld Mehta`s appointment as the state Lokayukta, saying it was done in consultation with the Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court.
The Governor was bound to act under advice of Council of Ministers, but in this case the appointment was not wrong since it was done in consultation with the High Court Chief Justice, the apex court said.
Governor Kamla Beniwal had on August 25 last year appointed Justice Mehta to the post of Lokayukta, which had been lying vacant for the last eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company
- Some 6,500 migrants rescued off Libya: Coastguard
- Mitsubishi Motors overstated fuel economy on eight more models - Nikkei