`Will implement SC judgement on Lokayukta soon`
Gandhinagar: With the Supreme Court on Wednesday upholding Governor Kamla Beniwal`s decision to appoint Justice (retd) RA Mehta as Gujarat Lokayukta, the Narendra Modi government said it would soon implement the apex court judgement.
"We will soon implement the Supreme Court judgement on Lokayukta," state Law Minister Bhupindersinh Chudasama said here.
"The Supreme Court has accepted Gujarat government`s contention that Governor has to act as per the advice of the Council of Ministers," he added.
A detailed reaction on the issue could only be given after reading the judgement, Chudasama said.
In a setback to the Gujarat government, the Supreme Court upheld Mehta`s appointment as the state Lokayukta, saying it was done in consultation with the Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court.
The Governor was bound to act under advice of Council of Ministers, but in this case the appointment was not wrong since it was done in consultation with the High Court Chief Justice, the apex court said.
Governor Kamla Beniwal had on August 25 last year appointed Justice Mehta to the post of Lokayukta, which had been lying vacant for the last eight years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Modi finds 'Little India' with Diwali lights, delicious food in Singapore - In Pics
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!