Withdraw environment committee for Narmada project: Modi to PM
Ahmedabad: Raising strong objection over
constitution of a monitoring committee for environment of
Narmada project by the union ministry of environment, Gujarat
Chief Minister Narendra Modi, in a letter to the PM, sought
his intervention for withdrawal of the committee.
The union ministry has constituted the committee
headed by a leading economist and proponent of Narmada project
Dr Y K Alagh, who will review the environmental steps taken
under the Narmada project.
"The decision of the ministry taken on April 28, is
not at all in accordance with the present provisions of
Narmada project and with the ordered adjudged by the Supreme
Court on October 20, 2000," CM Modi stated in the latter which
was handed over to the PM yesterday, an official release said.
Modi said that in the past the central government and
the prime minister have always been helpful in clearing
hurdles and disputes pertaining to the multi state project,
whose height has to be taken to the full reservoir in order to
extract the benefits.
According to him, the Gujarat government has already
completed a 458 km long central canal in 2008 and currently,
2.2 crore people get drinking water from the Narmada project
in the state.
Modi stated in the letter that such a high level
committee is not required as it will cause delay and will
further perplex the situation and may cause the negative
impacts on the entire project.
He pointed out that in 1988, the project was given
environmental clearance and prior to that in 1987, a sub group
for environmental issues was formed which ensured that all
steps for environmental protection were taken.
He said that the sub group was formed in the presence
of the then Prime Minister and all Chief Ministers concerned.
Modi said that since the Narmada Control Authority
(NCA) has complete monitoring set up and that environmental
group has authority to take any steps related to the project,
there is no need for any other independent agency to take
decisions in this regard.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'