Witness in Sanjiv Bhatt`s case missing
Ahmedabad: One of the key witnesses in the case against suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, who has been accused of forcing a constable to sign a false affidavit, has gone missing since Tuesday, police said on Thursday.
The witness Sharanik Shah, who lives in Chandkheda area in Ahmedabad is missing since 12 am on October 25 as per his family, which initially believed that he had gone to Mahudi in Gandhinagar district for some ritual that was to be performed during Diwali.
However, since Shah did not return till last night, a missing person`s complaint was registered by his family and further investigation in the matter is on, police said.
According to the FIR of constable K D Pant, based on which Bhatt was arrested, Shah had come with Pant to Bhatt`s residence on the night of June 16.
Shah was also present when Bhatt allegedly threatened Pant and made him sign affidavit that supported his claim that he was present in the meeting of February 27, 2002 called by Chief Minister Narendra Modi after the post-Godhra riots, the FIR said.
As a witness in the FIR against Bhatt, Shah`s statement has been recorded before a judicial magistrate by the investigating officer in the case.
Bhatt, in his affidavit filed in the Supreme Court, had alleged complicity of Modi in the post-Godhra riots, and stated that Pant who knew about the CM`s meeting was threatened with dire consequences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report