Woman held for stealing jewellery from stores across cities
Ahmedabad: A woman has been arrested for allegedly stealing valuables from jewellery shops at various cities across the country by posing as a customer, a senior Crime Branch official said here on Monday.
A 47-year-old woman and her brother used to pose as customers and steal jewellery from various jewellery shops across major cities in India. The woman, identified as Poonam Kodekar, was arrested from her residence at Chharanagar near Sardarnagar area of the city, Crime Branch Joint Commissioner of Police (JCP) A K Sharma told mediapersons here.
The duo had stolen a white polished diamond necklace and two earrings worth Rs 13 lakh from M B Sons Jewellers and Diamond Merchant located on Lord Sinha Road in Kolkata last month, Sharma said, adding that jewellery worth Rs 13 lakh was recovered from her possession.
A complaint was lodged in this regard at Shakespeare Sarani police station and investigation in this case was later transferred to Kolkata Crime Branch.
Kolkata Crime Branch officials went through the CCTV footage of the jewellery showroom, who later came to know that two Ahmedabad-based persons were involved in stealing jewellery from a showroom in Hyderabad as well.
"The theft at a showroom in Hyderabad was detected with the assistance of Ahmedabad Crime Branch, following which a team of Kolkata police sought our help," Sharma said.
According to him, Kodekar`s brother, Chandrakant Parmar, was absconding.
"Two other complaints of stealing jewellery worth Rs 14 lakh from Kolkata have been lodged against Kodekar and Parmar at Shakespeare Sarani police station in Kolkata while another complaint of jewellery theft was registered against the duo at a police station in Hyderabad," Sharma said.
The duo had stolen jewellery from showrooms in Jalgaon, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Chennai, police said.
Their modus operandi was to pose as customers and then steal the jewellery after diverting the attention of the sales persons, police said adding that they had been recently released on bail after which they stole jewellery from a showroom in Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion