Women offer to work more as undercover agents in Guj
Ahmedabad: Gujarat is witnessing a rise in number of women willing to work as intelligence officers with state CID (intelligence), the key factor being the `aura` associated with the job.
During the last (year) enrolment of the state police, out of 57 aspirants directly recruited as IOs, 30 per cent were women, which is the highest so far for undercover agents, officials said without giving the exact number.
Those recruited include housewives, employees of corporate firms, engineers among others, chairman of recruitment board for sub-inspectors, Ashish Bhatia said.
The recruited team is trained in vigilance, information gathering and undercover operations for nine months at Karai Police Academy in the state capital by the intelligence wing of the office of Additional Director General of Police (ADGP), he said.
Assistance has also been sought from the Centre for comprehensive training of these IOs.
"There is a certain `aura` associated with the job of an intelligence officer in addition to the fact that the work is usually for fixed working hours. Women recruited this year have preferred working as IOs rather than armed and unarmed police sub-inspectors," Bhatia, an ADGP rank officer, said.
"Also, armed sub-inspectors have odd working hours and are transferred to various police stations, which women prefer to avoid," he pointed out.
Most of these women are from rural Gujarat and housewives form a major component, he mentioned.
After the July 2008 blasts in which 57 people were killed in the city, the state government had decided to directly recruit intelligence officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued