Women offer to work more as undercover agents in Guj
Ahmedabad: Gujarat is witnessing a rise in number of women willing to work as intelligence officers with state CID (intelligence), the key factor being the `aura` associated with the job.
During the last (year) enrolment of the state police, out of 57 aspirants directly recruited as IOs, 30 per cent were women, which is the highest so far for undercover agents, officials said without giving the exact number.
Those recruited include housewives, employees of corporate firms, engineers among others, chairman of recruitment board for sub-inspectors, Ashish Bhatia said.
The recruited team is trained in vigilance, information gathering and undercover operations for nine months at Karai Police Academy in the state capital by the intelligence wing of the office of Additional Director General of Police (ADGP), he said.
Assistance has also been sought from the Centre for comprehensive training of these IOs.
"There is a certain `aura` associated with the job of an intelligence officer in addition to the fact that the work is usually for fixed working hours. Women recruited this year have preferred working as IOs rather than armed and unarmed police sub-inspectors," Bhatia, an ADGP rank officer, said.
"Also, armed sub-inspectors have odd working hours and are transferred to various police stations, which women prefer to avoid," he pointed out.
Most of these women are from rural Gujarat and housewives form a major component, he mentioned.
After the July 2008 blasts in which 57 people were killed in the city, the state government had decided to directly recruit intelligence officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’