Work actively to release Indians from Pak jails: Gopal Das
Ahmedabad: Gopal Das, the Indian who returned
home after spending 27 years in a Pakistani jail last month,
today expressed displeasure for being "disowned" by the
government and said it needs to work pro-actively for release
of its citizens languishing in prisons in the neighbouring
Das, on a two-day visit to the state, also filed an
affidavit in the Gujarat High Court in support of a public
interest litigation (PIL) seeking release and compensation for
54 Indian Prisoners of War (POWs) languishing in Pakistan
"The Indian Government had no role to play in my release
from Pakistan jail. Earlier, the government was not even
accepting my nationality as an Indian," Das told reporters
The 52-year-old said he was released after 27 years
due to the efforts of his brother Anandveer and Pakistani
human rights activist Ansar Burni.
"It is disheartening that the government, for whom I
worked as spy, not only disowned me, but also did not give any
compensation to me or my family," Das said.
He has filed a petition in the Supreme Court demanding
compensation for his lost years in Pakistani jail.
Das, convicted on charges of spying and sentenced to
life imprisonment, was set free from the Lahore Central Jail
after Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari remitted his
sentence on humanitarian grounds following an appeal by the
Supreme Court of India.
He crossed over to the Indian side of the border at
Attari, Punjab, on April 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?