Work on Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar metro to start next year
Gandhinagar: Work on Rs 1,100 crore first phase of the metro rail project in Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar will start by next year and the line is expected to be operational within 2-3 years, Gujarat Infrastructure Development Board (GIDB) CEO said on Thursday.
"A company has been set up for undertaking the metro project, MetroLink Express Ahmedabad Gandhinagar and a newly appointed Managing Director would join later this month. Work on the first phase of the project would start in the middle of 2011," said GIDB chief executive officer AK Sharma.
He, however, did not reveal the name of the MD.
The first phase of the metro rail project will cover a distance of 32.65 kilometre in the north-south direction between Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad and 10.90 kilometre
east-west corridor between Kalupur and Thaltej.
The GIDB CEO said that though no official time frame has yet been formally announced for completion of the first phase, the metro service is likely to be operational within 2-3
Sharma, who is also secretary to the state`s Chief Minister Narendra Modi, added that the metro line in its second phase will connect Ahmedabad with Dholera, the site of
a Special Investment Region. This will add another 125 kilometre to the north-south line.
"However, details for the second phase is still to be worked out. First of all, we want to get ahead with the first phase of the project so as to provide world class connectivity
to the people in Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar," he said.
Sharma said the state government was in talks with private sector players to involve them in the metro rail project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof