Yet to get SC status, Gujarat’s Thori community tells NHRC
Ahmedabad: Over 700-800 families of Thori community in Sabarkantha district of Gujarat, whose traditional occupation is making bamboo items, are yet to get the Scheduled Caste status, a community member claimed here.
"We still do not have any status. Every time we make a representation to the authorities they just tell us one thing, repeatedly: `please provide us documents`," said Manu Thori, of Thori Samaj Yuvak Mandal.
Thori narrated the community`s plight before the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) delegation, headed by Chairperson Justice K G Balakrishnan, during an open hearing session for the NGOs here.
"We have been awarded a certificate by a concerned state agency stating that we don`t fall under other backward class (OBC) category," Thori claimed, adding that the community figured at 27th number in Government of India`s gazette notification on Scheduled Castes.
"Around 3,642 Thori community members from 700-800 families across Sabarkantha district are yet to get caste certificates.
"In 2004, Gujarat government had placed us amongst the very backward class category vide a gazette notification, but despite that we have not been awarded the caste certificates yet," he claimed.
NHRC member Justice B C Patel assured that a solution would be found. "We think this problem can be sorted out in a short time," Patel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden