Yet to get SC status, Gujarat’s Thori community tells NHRC
Ahmedabad: Over 700-800 families of Thori community in Sabarkantha district of Gujarat, whose traditional occupation is making bamboo items, are yet to get the Scheduled Caste status, a community member claimed here.
"We still do not have any status. Every time we make a representation to the authorities they just tell us one thing, repeatedly: `please provide us documents`," said Manu Thori, of Thori Samaj Yuvak Mandal.
Thori narrated the community`s plight before the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) delegation, headed by Chairperson Justice K G Balakrishnan, during an open hearing session for the NGOs here.
"We have been awarded a certificate by a concerned state agency stating that we don`t fall under other backward class (OBC) category," Thori claimed, adding that the community figured at 27th number in Government of India`s gazette notification on Scheduled Castes.
"Around 3,642 Thori community members from 700-800 families across Sabarkantha district are yet to get caste certificates.
"In 2004, Gujarat government had placed us amongst the very backward class category vide a gazette notification, but despite that we have not been awarded the caste certificates yet," he claimed.
NHRC member Justice B C Patel assured that a solution would be found. "We think this problem can be sorted out in a short time," Patel said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan