Youth dies in police custody in Vadodara
Vadodara: A youth, who had been picked up by city police for questioning in a betting case, allegedly died during custody, police said on Saturday.
The youth identified as Sajid Sheikh died while he was in the lockup of Pani Gate police station here yesterday.
"Post-mortem was conducted on the body and we are now waiting for the report. Only then we will come to know the reason behind his death," Deputy Police Commissioner Dipankar Trivedi said.
Sheikh`s family members have alleged that he died as he was beaten up by police during the custody.
The police, however, have denied the allegation.
The brother of the deceased, Munavar Sheikh, said, "My brother was wrongly detained. He was into the business of painting and was not into betting. His death is unnatural and he was healthy and fine."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves