Youth dies in police custody in Vadodara
Vadodara: A youth, who had been picked up by city police for questioning in a betting case, allegedly died during custody, police said on Saturday.
The youth identified as Sajid Sheikh died while he was in the lockup of Pani Gate police station here yesterday.
"Post-mortem was conducted on the body and we are now waiting for the report. Only then we will come to know the reason behind his death," Deputy Police Commissioner Dipankar Trivedi said.
Sheikh`s family members have alleged that he died as he was beaten up by police during the custody.
The police, however, have denied the allegation.
The brother of the deceased, Munavar Sheikh, said, "My brother was wrongly detained. He was into the business of painting and was not into betting. His death is unnatural and he was healthy and fine."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family