Zakia files fresh plea seeking SIT report
Ahmedabad: Zakia Jaffery, widow of former MP Ehsan Jaffery, on Thursday filed a fresh application in a local court seeking a copy of final report of Special Investigation Team on her complaint against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others on 2002 post-Godhra riots.
The hearing on the application was adjourned till March 27 by Metropolitan Magistrate M S Bhatt after SIT sought time to file its reply.
In her plea, Zakia has demanded that the Supreme Court-appointed agency`s report be declared a public document and a copy of it be provided to her immediately.
The court also deferred till March 27 ruling on two similar applications - filed by Jan Sangharsh Manch (JSM), an NGO, and one of the accused in the Gulburg Society riot case.
Zakia`s counsel Mihir Desai submitted that their earlier plea seeking a copy of the report last month was rejected on the basis of SIT not submitting its entire finding.
Now that the entire report and related documents have been submitted by SIT, they want access to the conclusions. Desai contended his client was entitled to all documents that are a subject matter of the application.
He said whatever be the conclusion of SIT, be it recommending chargesheet against the accused or a closure report, Zakia, being a complainant in the case, has right to obtain a copy of the report at all stages.
The SIT has submitted to the court the final report, in a sealed cover, on Zakia`s complaint alleging complicity of Modi, other top politicians, police officers and bureaucrats of the state in the communal riots in which over 1,000 people were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH