Zakia`s lawyers start examination of SIT report
Ahmedabad: Lawyers representing Zakia Jafri on Saturday started examination of original report submitted by SIT to a local court in which the Supreme Court-appointed probe agency has given a clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others in connection with post-Godhra riots.
Zakia, a riot victim, had in an application to the court, said some of the documents given by SIT with its closure report on her complaint against Modi and others were not readable.
The SIT had then said they were ready to allow Zakia to inspect the documents they have submitted to the court. It had said documents are in bad shape as they are 10-year-old.
Zakia, wife of ex-Congress MP Eshan Jafri, who was killed, along with 68 others, in the riots at Gulburg Society here, had filed a complaint against Modi and others, including his Ministers and senior officials, alleging their complicity in the 2002 communal violence.
SIT, after investigations, gave a clean chit to all of them, and on the direction of the court had given a copy of their final report along with relevant documents to Zakia.
Meanwhile, social activist Teesta Setalvad submitted an application in the court saying she should also be allowed to examine the documents along with Zakia`s lawyers.
Setalvad, who runs an NGO, Citizen for Justice and Peace (CJP), submitted power of attorney signed by Zakia in support of her prayer.
SIT, however, opposed Setalvad` plea, saying only complainant and her lawyers are allowed to examine the report and related documents.
Metropolitan Magistrate B J Ganatra denied permission to Setalvad to examine the papers. On this, she insisted that a hearing be conducted on her application. The court fixed June 26 for hearing her plea.
Four lawyers of Zakia, including Sadik Sheikh and Irshad Mansuri, examined four files out of 68 containing 22,000 pages of documents submitted by SIT on Saturday.
The next examination of the documents will be held after the court takes a decision on Setalvad`s plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest