21-yr-old woman dead in `dishonour killing`
Yamunanagar (Haryana): In a suspected case of dishonour killing, a 21-year-old woman has died under suspicious circumstances in Bapra village here, just two days after she eloped with a youth, police said on Monday.
She was about to be cremated secretively by her family members, but acting on information from villagers, police intervened and removed the body from the funeral pyre, they said.
A few family members of the woman allegedly manhandled the policemen and snatched the SHO`s phone in the crematorium, police said.
The girl`s body was sent for postmortem, they said, adding that a murder case and another case for causing disappearance of evidence and giving false information has been registered against the victim`s father Mahinder Singh, who had been taken into custody, they said.
According to the police, the woman had eloped with the youth of the same village on Thursday as her family was against their relationship.
Police sources said they had brought the woman here from Ludhiana after her elopement, while her family members claimed that she had consumed some drug and died.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed