After accident, Yamunanagar district to regulate traffic
Yamunanagar: Springing into action after a road accident killed 12 people, including eight college students, the authorities here have decided to regulate traffic, especially heavy vehicles.
The head-on-collision between an overloaded truck and a college bus on a national highway in Yamunanagar district Thursday also left 29 injured, of whom 27 are still in hospital.
Ashok Sangwan, deputy commissioner of Yamunanagar, said: "We will regulate traffic, especially heavy vehicles crossing through the district. We have got instructions from the Chief Minister."
Taking a serious note, Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda had Thursday instructed the Yamunanagar administration to regulate traffic during peak hours.
"We have told administration officials and police to identify the accident-prone areas. Accordingly, we would evolve strategies to keep a check on the number of accidents," Sangwan said.
Eight management students and two teachers of the Sri Ram Institute of Management and Technology in Yamunanagar were among the 12 people killed. The college bus collided head-on with the overloaded truck on a sharp turn on national highway number 73-A near Manakpur village in Chachrauli sub-division of this district.
The Institute is about 110 km from state capital Chandigarh.
"We had handed over the bodies of the deceased to their relatives Thursday and they were cremated the same day. Right now, 27 people are still in hospitals here," investigating officer Rajinder Kumar told said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends