Agreement with Jat leaders fails to take off?
Hisar: Differences appeared among Jat leaders,
agitating in Haryana to press for reservation in government
jobs under OBC quota, with a section on Sunday threatening to
intensify their stir.
The decision to intensify the agitation was announced
at village Ramayan after the Khap (caste council) leaders, who
had announced withdrawal of stir yesterday following talks
with Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, failed to turn up
to brief the Action Committee that is spearheading the
Rejecting the agreement arrived at with the government,
the committee said that the Jat activists would sit on railway
tracks at Mehuwala near Fatehabad and Gajuwala on Hisar-Jakhal
track from tomorrow.
Rail traffic on Hisar-Bhiwani route remained suspended for
the 13th day today due to the Jats` stir.
Representatives of 25 khaps yesterday held talks for over
two hours at the Chief Minister`s residence here after which
senior Khap leader Nafe Singh Nain had said, "It has been
agreed that the agitating Jats will suspend their stir and
wait for the Haryana Backward Classes Commission report, which
is expected to be submitted to the state government shortly."
Last year, the community leaders had ended their stir on
March 26, after a promise of setting up of a `Haryana Backward
Nain and another khap leader Baljit Singh Malik said they
have been told that the Commission`s report will be submitted
in the next few months.
Besides Hooda, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Randeep
Singh Surjewala also participated in the meet.
On February 27, the khaps had served an ultimatum to the
government to accept their demands within three days and the
deadline was later extended by another three days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra show on importance of 'Social media networking'
- England vs Pakistan: 2nd Test, Day 2 — As it happened...
- Erdogan says EU `biased and prejudiced` towards Turkey after coup bid
- Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader appeals sentence
- Cambodia blocking ASEAN consensus on South China Sea: Diplomat
- Turkey can hold suspects without charge for up to 30 days