Hisar: Showing presence of mind, an alert
nurse on Saturday saved the lives of five newborns as she switched
off the power supply to prevent a fire caused due to short
circuit from reaching the cribs of the infants at a local
civil hospital in Hisar.
Due to a short circuit in an electric stabiliser, the
power supply wires caught fire in the Neonatal Intensive Care
Unit (NICU) of local Civil Hospital where the infants were
kept for warmth.
According to the mothers of the infants, the babies were
kept in the NICU for protection against the cold wave.
Following the incident, four of the infants were
immediately shifted to the nursery section, while the parents
of one of them shifted him to a private nursing home.
Civil surgeon Dr J S Grewal said, "We are probing the
cause of short circuit. Perhaps it was due to the fluctuation
of power or a fault in the transformer."
"Proper wiring would be done to bear the load of
consumption," Grewal added.