Annul marriage or desert village: SC Panchayat to couple
Rohtak: A Dalit khap panchayat has asked
a couple, who got married just two days back, to annul their
marriage holding it has violated an age-old village custom
prohibiting wedding in same `gotra` (clan).
However, Kulwant Maidaland Sushila Badgujjar, who got
married on Sunday at Samain village, 30km from Rohtak, have
rejected the panchayat`s as "Talibanesque" and "unethical".
The panchayat says the marriage has violated the custom
that prohibits matrimonial ties between a girl and a boy if
one of his his or her parents or grandmother belongs to
Bahamnia `gotra` (clan) as majority of residents of Samain
village of the Scheduled Caste community belong to the same
The panchayat also said if the couple fails to break
their marriage within ten days, the groom`s family would have
to leave the village or be evicted.
The marriage between Kulwant and Sushila, a resident of
Dadula village in Panipat district, landed into controversy
almost immediately when some guests at the wedding function
objected to the solemnization after coming to know that
Sushila’s mother belonged to Bahamnai gotra.
The villagers had yesterday convened a panchayat and
termed the marriage as against the social custom.
The district police contacted the panchayat’s member and
directed them to withdraw their verdict.
The police today also recorded the statement of some
villagers in this regard after taking stock of the situation
in the area.
Khap panchayats in Haryana, mostly dominated by Jat
community members, are notorious for issuing diktats asking
married couples to live as brother and sister after holding
their marriages as invalid for having violated `gotra` norms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok