Aradhana hardly knew Ruchika: Rathore`s wife to HC
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High
Court on Monday resumed day-to-day hearing on SPS Rathore`s
revision petition challenging his conviction in Ruchika
molestation case with his lawyer wife Abha arguing that the
sole witness Aradhana was hardly close to the victim.
Stressing that the incident of molestation, as described
by the sole witness, was "not possible", Abha sought to build
up a case that Aradhana hardly knew Ruchika despite the
former`s claims that the two were close friends, who used
to play tennis together.
In support of her argument, Abha told the Judge that
Aradhana was not even aware of Ruchika`s pet name, which was
Ruby. She also said that Ruchika had not shared with Aradhana
the fact that the former`s father S C Girhotra had re-married.
She said Aradhna was also not aware that Ruchika`s
brother Ashu too played tennis at the Haryana Lawn Tennis
Association grounds at Panchkula, where the two girls used to
play together in 1990.
Pointing out "contradictions" in the statements of
Aradhana during her examination in the case, she submitted
that the witness was interested in getting Rathore convicted
as this family had feelings of "vengeance and vendetta"
Asked by Justice Jitendra Chauhan how long she would take
to conclude her arguments, the former Haryana DGP`s wife and
counsel said by Wednesday or Thursday she should be able to
The High Court which is conducting hearing in the case on
day-to-day basis, heard Abha`s arguments for about an hour
before adjourning the case till tomorrow.
Abha had on May 26 filed a revision petition in the High
Court for suspension of sentence and grant of bail to Rathore,
a day after the session`s court awarded him 18-month jail term
for molesting budding tennis player Ruchika Girhotra.
68-year-old Rathore has been lodged in the high security
Burail jail since May 25.
Ruchika had committed suicide three years after being
molested by Rathore on August 12, 1990.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing