Assailants ambush police van, 3 prisoners killed
Chandigarh: A police vehicle carrying prisoners was ambushed by unidentified assailants in Haryana`s Jhajjar district Saturday evening, leaving three prisoners dead and two policemen injured, police here said.
The attack on the police vehicle took place near Duleena village in Jhajjar, over 350 km from Chandigarh.
The three prisoners who died in attack were identified as Anil, Sribhagwan and Dilbagh. Out of these, Sribhagwan and Dilbagh were brothers and were under arrest for their alleged involvement in a murder.
Two policemen, Vinod Kumar and Vikas, were injured in the firing. They were rushed to the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (PGIMS) in Rohtak for treatment.
Police officials said that the attack could be an outcome of gang rivalry. They said that the attack took place in a Bollywood film style.
Police said the prisoners, who had been brought from Bhondsi prison near Gurgaon to Rohtak for a court hearing Saturday, were being taken back when the attack took place.
"The police van was first hit by a truck. As the vehicle stopped, 3-4 other vehicles came from behind and armed assailants opened fire on the van carrying the prisoners and police personnel. Despite the sudden attack, the police party in the van returned the fire," a police official in Jhajjar district said.
The assailants escaped after the incident.
No senior official of the Haryana police was available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31