Auction only fair method of allocating natural resources: BJP
Surajkund: In the wake of the Supreme Court judgement on allocation of natural resources, BJP on Thursday said competitive bidding through auction is the only method to ensure fair play as any discretionary quota is likely to open the floodgates of corruption.
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley batted for competitive bidding in allocation of all natural resources--other than air and water--for commercial use.
"Water and air cannot be auctioned as they are critical for life support. BJP is clear that a fair criteria should be adopted for allocation of natural resources. Competitive bidding should be the practice in allocating natural resources for commercial use", he said adding "discretion without auctions will open the floodgates of corruption".
In response to a presidential reference following the apex court verdict on 2G spectrum allocation, the Supreme Court today said the auction route was not the only method for allocating natural resources.
The five-judge apex court bench headed by Chief Justice S H Kapadia said auction could be a better option where the aim is maximisation of revenue but then "every method other than auction of natural resources cannot be shut down".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says