Authorities seal illegal borewells in Gurgaon
Gurgaon: Following an order of the
Punjab and Haryana High Court, authorities here have sealed
and dismantled about 249 borewells which were found to be
either operating illegally or using underground water for
Deputy Commissioner P C Meena who was reviewing the
progress on the high court`s orders directed officials to
conduct a comprehensive survey in their areas and seal the
borewells operating without a valid permit.
Meena directed the team in-charges to furnish
affidavits that no unauthorised borewell was operational in
the area allotted to them and underground water from the
permitted borewells was only used for domestic and drinking
He ordered lodging of FIR against tubewell operators
who are found violating the court`s order.
Meena said that the central ground water authority
(CGWA) has also given 60 days time from 8th February for
installing water meters on the permitted borewells.
The high court had banned drilling of new borewells in
notified area of Gurgaon district and directed that the water
from existing borewells can be used only for drinking and
domestic purposes and not for commercial activities including
In compliance of these directions, the district
administration had constituted 16 teams of officers to conduct
checking and to seal the unauthorised borewells.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter