Ban night weddings to minimise road mishaps, demand Khaps
Rohtak: Haryana`s Khap panchayats, who have already received flak over their moral policing-blended diktats, on Sunday asked the state government to ban marriage functions at night as it would lessen cases of drunken driving by keeping off youths from alcohol.
A resolution to this effect was passed during an assembly of over 200 representatives from around 50 Khaps of the state in Rohtak, which found wedding ceremonies in the night as the main cause of increasing road mishaps.
During the functions, the participants, especially youths, would consume alcohol and then drive, leading to mishaps, the meeting noted.
Om Prakash Dhankar, a participant in the meeting, said their delegation will soon meet Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda and demand a ban on night marriages.
"Khap representatives will visit villages of their areas to convince people not to organise marriages of their wards at night so that rising rates of road accident could be brought down after restraining youths from consuming liquor," he said.
The Khaps also sought amendment in the Hindu Marriage Act to make way for a ban on marriages within the same `gotra` (clan).
Another participant Hardeep Singh said Khaps will work towards informing people about the "negative fallouts" of such marriages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title