BJP leader Pradeep Sangwan quits party, joins Congress
Chandigarh: In a blow to the BJP in Haryana, Pradeep Sangwan, who had resigned from the party after being denied a ticket from the Sonipat parliamentary constituency, Wednesday joined the ruling Congress.
Pradeep (43), son of Kishan Singh Sangwan, who remained MP from Sonipat thrice, announced his decision at Gohana in the presence of Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
Sangwan, who had decided to run as an Independent candidate, called to withdraw his candidature to support Congress nominee Jagbir Malik.
"I have joined the Congress. The BJP back stabbed our family. They ignored the family of a tall leader like my father, who had a clean image and was instrumental in building the BJP`s base in Sonipat region.
I have also worked hard over the years for this party, but today people who worked tirelessly for them have been ignored and sidelined not just in Sonipat, but in other parts of Haryana as well. Opportunists and turncoats with poor or no track record of working for the masses have been fielded by the BJP in Haryana on most seats," Pradeep Sangwan said.
Sangwan, who was a front runner from Sonipat was ignored by the BJP who fielded turncoat Ramesh Kaushik (48) from the Jat-dominated constituency.
Kaushik, a former Congress leader had joined the BJP last year. Barring Hisar and Sirsa, which are being contested by its ally the Haryana Janhit Congress, the BJP has put up its candidates on the remaining 8 Lok Sabha seats in the State.
Meanwhile, Sangwan said Sonipat BJP district Youth, Women, Scheduled Caste and farmer cells presidents and some other leaders also resigned from the party today to protest against its decision to field Kaushik.
They all announced to join the Congress party, he said.
Later, addressing the public gathering at Gohana, Sangwan accused the BJP leadership of ditching the thousands of its workers.
Chief Minister Hooda welcomed Sngwan and all other new entrants and assured them due regard and position.
He said the Lok Sabha election results in Haryana will indicate who would win in the next State Assembly elections, which are due in October.
Hooda flayed BJP and said party has sidelined those who had been working tirelessly. He also dismissed the opposition charge that his government has only developed Rohtak and Sonipat regions.
He slammed INLD for describing the Congress and the BJP as two sides of a coin and extending unconditional support to BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in the same breath.
The INLD is contesting the upcoming Lok Sabha polls in Haryana on its own after its attempts for a tie-up with the BJP failed, even as the Om Prakash Chautala led party has announced its unconditional support to Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks