Cabinet meeting was beginning of conspiracy in JBT scam: CBI
New Delhi: CBI on Monday told the Delhi High Court that the conspiracy in the teachers` recruitment scam, in which former Haryana Chief Minister O P Chautala was jailed for 10 years, had begun in September 1999 when the recruitment was taken out of the purview of Haryana Staff Selection Commission (HSSC).
Commencing his argument for the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on the bail plea of Chautala and others, Solicitor General(SG) Mohan Parasaran told Justice Mukta Gupta about the facts which led to the junior basic trained (JBT) teachers` recruitment scam.
The senior lawyer submitted Chautala had become the Chief Minister in July 1999 and he had also the additional charge of Education Minister.
The previous government in the state had taken the initiative for largescale recruitment
of JBT teachers and the work was assigned to HSSC, he said.
The counsel argued the cabinet headed by Chautala had held the first meeting in September in which a decision was taken to "take away" the teachers` recruitment process from HSSC and to hand over the same to the directorate of primary education for the recruitment through district-level selection committees (DLSCs).
The senior law officer contended the issue was not on the agenda but the cabinet had taken the decision.
"The cabinet decision was the first step of the conspiracy....After which, the advertisement was issued for the recruitment and the entire appointment process was completed in October, 2000," the lawyer said.
On January 22, the trial court had convicted and sentenced Chautala and nine others to ten years jail-term for illegally recruiting 3,206 junior teachers in 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister