Caught in caste tangle, lovers commit suicide
Chandigarh: Faced with stiff resistance to their affair from their families, two lovers belonging to separate castes on Sunday allegedly committed suicide by jumping
before a running train near Samalkha in Haryana, railway police said.
Eighteen-year-old Tina and her lover Deepak (25), who hailed from village Dhera, ended their lives in the morning, a GRP official said.
He said the two had started off from their village separately and met at some spot from where they headed for the railway tracks near Samalkha, about 160 km from here and 80 km from Delhi.
"The boy and the girl belonged to separate castes. While Deepak was a Saini, Tina was a Lohar. Preliminary investigations have revealed that the duo faced strong resistance to their relationship from their parents and others, which drove them to commit suicide," he
The bodies had been sent for postmortem and further investigations are in progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report