CBI begins probe into shelter home abuse
Rohtak: Months after 94 children, mostly girls, were rescued from a shelter home run by an NGO here, CBI on Tuesday began its probe into allegations of sexual abuse, physical and mental torture of inmates there.
CBI joint director Anila Palta and Deputy Inspector General Mahesh Aggarwal held a meeting with police and civil administrative officers and checked official records of the shelter home and the outcome of preliminary investigation conducted by the local police into the matter.
They also interacted with the Special Investigation Team constituted by Haryana DGP Ranjeev Singh Dalal to inquire into alleged involvement of local police officials in the episode.
The investigation would be impartial and the victims would get justice, Palta told reporters later.
"We have just started the probe and various sorts of records and files pertaining to Apna Ghar are being collected," he said, adding that the accused would also be taken on remand again, whose statements were required for comprehensive investigation.
The shelter home run by an NGO Bharat Vikas Sangh had landed in controversy when a team of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights had rescued 94 children, mostly girls after carrying out a surprise raid there on May 9.
Ten persons, including its caretaker Jaswanti Devi and a former SI of Haryana Police Bhim Singh Ranga, have so far been arrested in connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand