CBI takes up probe in Apna Ghar shelter house case
Chandigarh: The Central Bureau of investigation on Friday decided to take up the probe in the infamous Rohtak shelter home –Apna Ghar – children sexual abuse case.
Inmates of the Rohtak shelter home were allegedly subjected to sexual abuse, physical and mental exploitation and used as bonded labour.
The National Commission for Protection of Child Right had rescued nearly 120 people, including children and women, from the house after carrying out a surprise raid on May 9.
Earlier, the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday gave a week`s time to the Centre to take a decision on Haryana government`s recommendation for a CBI probe into the Rohtak shelter home incident.
The Haryana government had about a month back recommended a CBI probe into the allegations of sexual abuse and torture, including by police personnel, of the inmates of the `Apna Ghar` shelter home, which was run by an NGO.
The four advocates` committee, appointed recently by the High Court here, apprehended that if the CBI does not take over the case, evidence may be destroyed.
The committee submitted that the head of now-sealed Apna Ghar, Jaswanti Devi, was an influential person with links among political and police brass.
The court also directed Haryana`s Women and Child Development Department to formulate rehabilitation plans for the inmates of Apna Ghar who have been sent to different shelter homes in the state and asked the department`s secretary to inform the court about the steps taken.
Utsav Bains submitted before the Court that little effort had been taken to suitably rehabilitate the inmates.
The next hearing in the case will be held on July 19, the date fixed for the Centre to convey its decision on CBI probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune