CBI to re-probe Rathore`s role in Ruchika case
Chandigarh: After much pressure from all quarters, speculation is rife that the CBI will launch a fresh probe into the Ruchika Girhotra molestation in which Haryana`s former DGP SPS Rathore was given six months jail on Monday. Various individuals and organistaions expressed discontent at the quantum of punishment handed out to Rathore. The National Commission for Women, Left parties, BJP chief Nitin Gadkari, the judge who initially ordered CBI probe into the matter are among votaries for better handling of the case.
CBI is consulting with the Directorate of Prosecution to re-investigate the case, sources at the agency have revealed.
Earlier, in a startling revelation, DGP (Retd) RR Singh, immediate senior of SPS Rathore and probing officer in the Ruchika Girhotra molestation case, has said that he was threatened by Rathore during the probe.
Speaking to journalists, Singh recalled the events related to "threats and pressure mounted by Rathore" on him.
He was the first officer to probe the charges against Rathore, and he retired in 1992 after submitting his report to the Haryana government, saying it was a "planned molestation".
"While I conducted the probe, he (SPS Rathore) garnered the support of all residents of Rajiv Colony (a slum) in Panchkula and people of his community in Naraingarh, Ambala district. They staged dharnas outside my office and home. I mentioned everything in my report to the Haryana government as well as to the Union ministry of home affairs," he said.
RR Singh also said that he perceived a threat from Rathore and chose to retain his security cover even after retirement.
"Truth has prevailed and Rathore is now a convict. It was a case of pre-planned molestation. He deliberately sent Aradhana out of his office and molested Ruchika," Singh said. "This is what I said in my report to the ministry, to the CBI, and in the CBI court."
Meanwhile furor over the punishment- six months and affine of Rs 1000- refuses to die. From NCW to the various civil rights groups, there us a demand for appeal in a higher court as well reopening of the case.
Joining the chorus, Justice RL Anand, who ordered a CBI inquiry into the case, also said he was not happy with the verdict. He told a TV channel that the punishment was meagre and the case deserved another hearing.
On Wednesday the NCW chief Girija Vyas had demanded that he Haryana govt file an appeal against the decision in a higher court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly