Chautala backs Khaps on ‘marrying girls young to prevent rape’
New Delhi: Even as the nation stands worried about the growing incidences of rape in Haryana, the community as well as political leaders are coming up with shocking and bizarre explanations and solutions to tackle the problem.
As against expectation that the political fraternity in the state will question the disturbing “solution” suggested by Rohtak Khap leaders that girls as young as 15-year-olds should be married off to control the situation, political leaders in the state are either keeping mum on the issue or more horrendously seen backing them.
The Khap’s proposal has been backed by none other than the state’s former chief minister Om Prakash Chautala.
Chautala was today reported by NDTV as saying, "We should learn from the past... especially in Mughal era, people used to marry their girls to save them from Mughal atrocities and currently a similar situation is arising in the state. I think that`s the reason khap has taken such a decision and I support it."
Chautala’s remarks came even as another alleged rape of a Dalit girl was reported from Kalayat area of the state’s Kaithal district.
Yesterday, while visiting the family of a Dalit rape victim in Jind, Congress president Sonia Gandhi had said lawmaking was not in the hands of Khaps.
Sonia Gandhi had said that only judiciary will decide on matters of law, not khaps.
However, she had also said that the incidences of rape were on the rise, not just in Haryana but elsewhere too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar