Chautala didn`t discuss same-gotra wedding: Govt
New Delhi: Former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala did not seek an amendment to the Hindu Marriage Act to ban marriages between individuals having the same ancestral origin when he met Home Minister P. Chidambaram, the ministry clarified Tuesday.
Other than an incident in Sirsa district involving Haryana`s Minister of State for Home Affairs Gopal Kanda, "no subject was discussed during the meeting", the home ministry said in a press statement.
"Chautala led a delegation to meet the home minister Monday. The delegation presented a memorandum. The memorandum was in respect of an incident in Sirsa district involving Gopal Kanda. No other subject was discussed during the meeting and no other memorandum was given to the union home minister," the statement said.
Chautala, the Indian National Lok Dal chief, told reporters after his meeting with Chidambaram Monday that he was opposed to same-gotra marriage because "it is not right scientifically and medically". Gotra denotes a common lineage.
However, some media reports had suggested that Chautala had raised the point with the home minister. Chautala had also said that his party would bring a proposal in the state assembly to ban same-gotra weddings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?