Chautala didn`t discuss same-gotra wedding: Govt
New Delhi: Former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala did not seek an amendment to the Hindu Marriage Act to ban marriages between individuals having the same ancestral origin when he met Home Minister P. Chidambaram, the ministry clarified Tuesday.
Other than an incident in Sirsa district involving Haryana`s Minister of State for Home Affairs Gopal Kanda, "no subject was discussed during the meeting", the home ministry said in a press statement.
"Chautala led a delegation to meet the home minister Monday. The delegation presented a memorandum. The memorandum was in respect of an incident in Sirsa district involving Gopal Kanda. No other subject was discussed during the meeting and no other memorandum was given to the union home minister," the statement said.
Chautala, the Indian National Lok Dal chief, told reporters after his meeting with Chidambaram Monday that he was opposed to same-gotra marriage because "it is not right scientifically and medically". Gotra denotes a common lineage.
However, some media reports had suggested that Chautala had raised the point with the home minister. Chautala had also said that his party would bring a proposal in the state assembly to ban same-gotra weddings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what