Chautala was shielding Rathore: Ruchika’s father
New Delhi: In an embarrassment to seasoned Haryana politician Om Prakash Chautala, Ruchika’s father SC Girhotra on Thursday accused him of shielding tainted Haryana ex-DGP, SPS Rathore in the molestation case.
Talking to media persons for the first time since Rathore was given punishment in for molesting 14 year old Ruchika, Girhotra said, “Rathore was the right hand man of Chautala and he used him for serving all his selfish purposes and that is why Rathore was saved even after molesting the teenager.”
He also said that the six months punishment handed to Rathore was not enough and he should be tried and punished for abetting suicide of a minor and threatening her family for 19 years.
Girhotra also demanded security for himself and his family alleging that the threat from the Rathore still persists.
Seemingly dissatisfied over the verdict, Girhotra said, “Six months punishment is not enough for Rathore as he forced Ruchika to commit suicide and also for pressurised us for 19 long years. We want harsher punishment for Rathore.”
Girhotra also alleged that Rathore tried to indict his son in false cases.
A visibly frustrated Girhotra said, “I felt helpless at the time of the incident.”
“We are encouraged with the support that we got from media and all other quarters and hoping to get justice. We will pursue the case further till justice is done to Ruchika,” he added.
Rathore was convicted by a special CBI court on December 21 in the Aug 12, 1990, Ruchika Girhotra molestation case. The tennis player had committed suicide in December 1993, three years after the incident, following her and her family`s continuous harassment allegedly at the behest of Rathore.
Rathore, who was an IG in Haryana police when the molestation incident took place, continued to be promoted by successive governments in the state despite the charges against him. He became Haryana DGP (October 1999-December 2000) during the rule of chief minister Om Prakash Chautala.
The complainants against Rathore, Anand and Madhu Prakash, whose daughter Aradhana was the prime witness to the molestation incident, and their lawyer also opine that the punishment given to Rathore - six months in jail - is too little.
It has led to speculation that the CBI will launch a fresh probe into the case as various individuals and organistaions expressed discontent at the quantum of punishment handed out to Rathore. The National Commission for Women, Left parties, BJP chief Nitin Gadkari, the judge who initially ordered CBI probe into the matter are among votries for better handling of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25