Chautala`s plea in assets case dismissed

Last Updated: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 12:30

New Delhi: A Delhi court has dismissed
former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala`s plea to
direct CBI to submit before it some additional documents
relating to a disproportionate assets case against him.

Special CBI judge PS Teji dismissed 75-year-old
Chautala`s plea after accepting the CBI contention that the
same has been made to delay the trial of the case.

The judge noted that already 18 hearings have taken
place and three more are prayed for by Chautala to press for
the plea while the court is still hearing the arguments on
issue of framing of charges against him to begin the trial.

The court also pointed out that the CBI has not drawn
any adverse inference against Chautala from those documents
and so they are not relevant to the case.

"Now at the fag end of arguments on charges, the plea
has been filed. The admitted position is that the documents
are already within the knowledge of the accused (Chautala) and
the CBI has not taken any adverse inference from the documents
sought to be called from CBI," the special judge said.

The five-time chief minister and a sitting MLA from
Uchana in Jind district had said that CBI seized various
documents during investigation, but, some of which were
"essential to unfold the truth", have not been submitted to
the court.

Chautala had sought court`s directions to CBI to place
on record the documents, which included some balance sheets
and bank account papers allegedly relating to his companies.

CBI had vehemently opposed the plea saying the same
"has been filed just to delay the proceedings".

It further said all documents which have been relied
upon while alleging charges against Chautala have been placed
on record.

Accepting CBI`s arguments, the court dismissed
Chautala`s plea. "In the facts and circumstances mentioned
above, I am of the considered opinion that the application
filed by the Chautala does not deserve to be accepted. The
same is dismissed. The case is fixed for further arguments on
charge," the judge said.

The CBI had on March 26 last year issued charge sheet
against Chautala, indicting him for allegedly possessing
assets worth Rs 6.09 crore, far exceeding his known sources of
income between 1993 and 2006.

It is roughly 189 per cent of his income of Rs 3.22
crore during the period, the CBI said in its charge sheet.

Chautala had last held the post of state`s chief
minister between July 1999 to March 2005.

CBI had registered the case against Chautalas in April
2006 and had searched their 24 premises in Delhi, Haryana,
Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal and Chandigarh during
which it had seized Rs 13 lakh in cash besides freezing five
bank accounts having Rs 1.34 crore.

The probe agency had earlier filed the charge sheets
against Chautala`s two sons, Ajay and Abhay, both Haryana
MLAs, on grounds of possessing assets disproportionate to
their known sources of income.

PTI



First Published: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 12:30

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus