Chautala`s plea to get pacemaker at pvt hospital rejected
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday turned down the plea of jailed former Haryana Chief Minister OP Chautala, facing trial in a disproportionate assets case, to undergo pacemaker implantation at a private hospital instead of a government facility.
While rejecting his plea, Special CBI Judge Manu Rai Sethi directed the jail superintendent to get the 78-year-old INLD leader, who is serving sentence in a graft case, referred to RML Hospital here saying it has all the infrastructure and facilities required for his treatment.
Chautala, who is in jail after being sentenced to ten year imprisonment in the teacher recruitment scam, along with his MLA son Ajay Chautala, has been complaining of ill-health post his conviction.
Chautala`s counsel had urged the court to allow his client to get a pacemaker installed at a private heart institute at his own expense as he was suffering from various ailments and requires a multi-disciplinary hospital for treatment and that the government hospitals do not have such facilities.
At this the court had called for reports from AIIMS, RML and GB Pant hospitals by today regarding availability of infrastructure and possibility of appropriate treatment being accorded to the Chautala.
While GB Pant had said it can only provide general medicare, RML and AIIMS had said they have the facilities for treatment for various cardiac ailments.
While agreeing with his counsel`s submission that Chautala is entitled to proper treatment for his ailments, the court said that "report from RML makes it evident that all facilities and infrastructure required for treatment of the applicant (Chautala) are available there."
The court directed jail superintendent to get Chautala referred to RML hospital for treatment and if required, for hospitalisation and make adequate ambulance facility for his transit. The court also directed that he be provided adequate security during his stay at the hospital.
The judge also allowed one family member to stay with Chautala at the hospital after consultation with the medical superintendent.
Earlier, Chautala`s counsel had told the court that he was referred to DDU Hospital after his conviction in the 1999-2000 teachers recruitment scam. He was then referred from DDU to GB Pant Hospital and during his treatment there he was advised to consider pacemaker implantation.
The court is hearing a disproportionate assets case registered by CBI against Chautala in 2010 on a complaint by Haryana Congress leader Shamsher Singh Surjewala who accused him of amassing assets worth Rs 6.09 crore, far exceeding his legal income between 1993 and 2006.
Two such separate cases are also on against his sons Ajay and Abhay Chautala.
Chautala and Ajay Chautala were sentenced to 10-year imprisonment by a Delhi court on January 22 for illegally recruiting 3,206 junior basic trained (JBT) teachers in the state in 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi