Complaint against Haryana Tourism for using elephant
Agra: Wildlife activists have lodged an FIR against the owner of an elephant and the manager of the Haryana State Tourism Corporation`s Dabchik restaurant complex at Hodal on the Agra-Delhi highway.
Wildlife activists in Agra, Delhi and Haryana had demanded the release of the elephant which had turned aggressive in the mating season.
The Haryana State Tourism had allowed the elephant owner and the manager of Dabchik restaurant to use the pachyderm to entertain people.
Wildlife activists had warned officials of the tourist complex not to use the elephant, but no action was taken.
People For Animals, an NGO, lodged an FIR against the manager of Dabchik restaurant Sunday.
Assistant sub-inspector Joginder Singh told a news agency: "The case is being investigated".
Wildlife activist Naresh Kadyan told the agency on phone that an FIR had been registered against the elephant`s owner along with the "animal abuse promoter, the manager of the Dabchik restaurant, owned by the Haryana Tourism Corporation Ltd, for violation of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972, read with the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960 and IPC 268/120-B".
Joginder Singh told the agency: "We have asked Haryana Tourism officials to show us the permission (to use the elephant), if they have any."
Sensing trouble, the elephant and camel owners have disappeared from the tourist complex.
"The elephant has a microchip, and it belongs to a Delhi-based owner. How the animal was contracted and how the Haryana government floated a tender will be investigated. The pachyderm could prove a public nuisance and a threat to life. We want the elephant to be shifted to Agra`s animal rescue centre at Keitham Lake," Kadyan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?