Couple seeks police protection to visit native village
Bhiwani: A couple from the same clan, who was forced to leave their native village by the khap panchayat soon after they got married, today sought police protection to return to Samaspur village here to visit their parents.
In a letter to the Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent
of Police, Sribhagwan and his wife Anita expressed fears that
they might be attacked by locals on their return to the
The duo said a panchayat of 19 villages of the Faugat
Khap and Dadri was held on March 7 and ordered for their
divorce within a week.
On refusing to do so, the panchayat had evicted them and
socially boycotted their family. The couple then approached
the district administration and demanded action against the
panchayat, following which a `sarpanch` and a `panch` were
suspended on charges of inciting people against them.
In the letter, the couple said they wanted to return to
the village to meet their parents and expressed fears that
they might be attacked by the villagers during the visit.
They also claimed that the administration had reinstated the
`sarpanch` and `panch` before the matter could be settled.
The couple has demanded a written assurance of their
safety from the top police officers.
When contacted, acting president of the khap Bobby Faugat
refused to comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan