Couple seeks police protection to visit native village
Bhiwani: A couple from the same clan, who was forced to leave their native village by the khap panchayat soon after they got married, today sought police protection to return to Samaspur village here to visit their parents.
In a letter to the Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent
of Police, Sribhagwan and his wife Anita expressed fears that
they might be attacked by locals on their return to the
The duo said a panchayat of 19 villages of the Faugat
Khap and Dadri was held on March 7 and ordered for their
divorce within a week.
On refusing to do so, the panchayat had evicted them and
socially boycotted their family. The couple then approached
the district administration and demanded action against the
panchayat, following which a `sarpanch` and a `panch` were
suspended on charges of inciting people against them.
In the letter, the couple said they wanted to return to
the village to meet their parents and expressed fears that
they might be attacked by the villagers during the visit.
They also claimed that the administration had reinstated the
`sarpanch` and `panch` before the matter could be settled.
The couple has demanded a written assurance of their
safety from the top police officers.
When contacted, acting president of the khap Bobby Faugat
refused to comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad