Couple seeks police protection to visit native village
Bhiwani: A couple from the same clan, who was forced to leave their native village by the khap panchayat soon after they got married, today sought police protection to return to Samaspur village here to visit their parents.
In a letter to the Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent
of Police, Sribhagwan and his wife Anita expressed fears that
they might be attacked by locals on their return to the
The duo said a panchayat of 19 villages of the Faugat
Khap and Dadri was held on March 7 and ordered for their
divorce within a week.
On refusing to do so, the panchayat had evicted them and
socially boycotted their family. The couple then approached
the district administration and demanded action against the
panchayat, following which a `sarpanch` and a `panch` were
suspended on charges of inciting people against them.
In the letter, the couple said they wanted to return to
the village to meet their parents and expressed fears that
they might be attacked by the villagers during the visit.
They also claimed that the administration had reinstated the
`sarpanch` and `panch` before the matter could be settled.
The couple has demanded a written assurance of their
safety from the top police officers.
When contacted, acting president of the khap Bobby Faugat
refused to comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death