Court notice to Haryana speaker, poll panel
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court Monday issued notice to the Haryana assembly speaker and the Election Commission on a plea challenging the speaker`s order allowing five Haryana Janhit Congress (HJC) legislators to join the Congress.
The petition was filed by HJC leader Kuldeep Bishnoi who challenged the order of Haryana Speaker Kuldeep Sharma allowing a group of five defector HJC legislators to be merged with the ruling Congress.
Sharma had last month dismissed 14 petitions, including that of Bishnoi, pending before him against the merger of the HJC legislators with the Congress. Bishnoi had sought disqualification of the five defector legislators under the anti-defection law.
The five HJC legislators had defected to the Congress in November 2009, just a month after the October assembly elections.
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda told media in Ambala, 45 km from here, Monday that the speaker`s decision was as per law.
"It is the constitutional right of every individual to move the court and whatever the verdict of the court would be acceptable to all," Hooda said.
The HJC had won six seats in the assembly election and barring its president Bishnoi, all the other legislators defected to the Congress saying that they had "merged" their group with the Congress.
The five HJC legislators are Sat Pal Sangwan, Zile Ram Sharma, Dharam Singh, Vinod Bhayana and Rao Narender Singh.
The then speaker, HS Chatha, had allowed the merger of the HJC legislators`s group with the Congress in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened