Court notice to Haryana speaker, poll panel
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court Monday issued notice to the Haryana assembly speaker and the Election Commission on a plea challenging the speaker`s order allowing five Haryana Janhit Congress (HJC) legislators to join the Congress.
The petition was filed by HJC leader Kuldeep Bishnoi who challenged the order of Haryana Speaker Kuldeep Sharma allowing a group of five defector HJC legislators to be merged with the ruling Congress.
Sharma had last month dismissed 14 petitions, including that of Bishnoi, pending before him against the merger of the HJC legislators with the Congress. Bishnoi had sought disqualification of the five defector legislators under the anti-defection law.
The five HJC legislators had defected to the Congress in November 2009, just a month after the October assembly elections.
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda told media in Ambala, 45 km from here, Monday that the speaker`s decision was as per law.
"It is the constitutional right of every individual to move the court and whatever the verdict of the court would be acceptable to all," Hooda said.
The HJC had won six seats in the assembly election and barring its president Bishnoi, all the other legislators defected to the Congress saying that they had "merged" their group with the Congress.
The five HJC legislators are Sat Pal Sangwan, Zile Ram Sharma, Dharam Singh, Vinod Bhayana and Rao Narender Singh.
The then speaker, HS Chatha, had allowed the merger of the HJC legislators`s group with the Congress in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?