CPI-M slams Haryana Cong leader for controversial rape remark
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Friday slammed as "utter hypocrisy" the statement by a Haryana Congress leader that 90 per cent rapes in the state were "consensual" and said the party has given licence to its leaders to "defend the indefensible".
Party leader Brinda Karat also condemned statements by ruling and opposition parties in Haryana condoning the views of khap panchayat that girls should be married off at 16 years.
"It shows utter hypocrisy of the Congress and the Haryana government. On one hand Congress President Sonia Gandhi visits the home of a Dalit girl to express solidarity, while on the other hand party has given license to leaders to defend the indefensible act on young women in Haryana," she said.
She was responding to comments by Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee (HPCC) member and Congress Hisar district spokesman Dharambir Goyat that "90 per cent of rape cases are (a case of) consensual sex between the girl and boy."
Goyat, however, later retracted his comments after his statement led to a public outcry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video