CPI(M) women`s wing demands Kanda`s immediate arrest
New Delhi: Demanding immediate arrest of former Haryana Minister Gopal Kanda, accused of abetting the suicide of his former employee Geetika Sharma, CPI(M) women`s wing AIDWA on Friday said he should be declared an absconder and his property be attached.
Activists of AIDWA marched towards Haryana Bhavan and submitted a memorandum to the Haryana government expressing their outrage over the incident which has hogged headlines.
Demanding Kanda`s arrest without further delay, they said police should move court to declare him an absconder and his property be attached.
23-year-old Geetika committed suicide at her Ashok Vihar residence on August 5 and in her suicide note accused Kanda and Aruna Chadha of harassing her. Both Kanda and Chaddha have denied the allegation.
Addressing the protesters, CPI(M) Polit Bureau member Brinda Karat said, "This is shameful conduct from a politician and criminalization of politics. That he is still absconding and he was a minister in the Congress-led Hooda government shows that he enjoys political patronage. He`s trying to buy time and avoid police."
Condemning the labour contract which mentioned that Geetika had to meet him at the end of the day, Karat asserted that the country had no definite labour laws and it was totally outrageous on Kanda`s part to allegedly include such obligations in her contract.
"This is not a fight for getting Geetika justice but a fight for every woman. We will take this fight against sexual harassment forward," said Karat.
AIDWA National General Secretary Sudha Sundararaman said that they will be monitoring the situation and if there is no development in the next 10 days, they will take to the streets again.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!