CPI(M) women`s wing demands Kanda`s immediate arrest
New Delhi: Demanding immediate arrest of former Haryana Minister Gopal Kanda, accused of abetting the suicide of his former employee Geetika Sharma, CPI(M) women`s wing AIDWA on Friday said he should be declared an absconder and his property be attached.
Activists of AIDWA marched towards Haryana Bhavan and submitted a memorandum to the Haryana government expressing their outrage over the incident which has hogged headlines.
Demanding Kanda`s arrest without further delay, they said police should move court to declare him an absconder and his property be attached.
23-year-old Geetika committed suicide at her Ashok Vihar residence on August 5 and in her suicide note accused Kanda and Aruna Chadha of harassing her. Both Kanda and Chaddha have denied the allegation.
Addressing the protesters, CPI(M) Polit Bureau member Brinda Karat said, "This is shameful conduct from a politician and criminalization of politics. That he is still absconding and he was a minister in the Congress-led Hooda government shows that he enjoys political patronage. He`s trying to buy time and avoid police."
Condemning the labour contract which mentioned that Geetika had to meet him at the end of the day, Karat asserted that the country had no definite labour laws and it was totally outrageous on Kanda`s part to allegedly include such obligations in her contract.
"This is not a fight for getting Geetika justice but a fight for every woman. We will take this fight against sexual harassment forward," said Karat.
AIDWA National General Secretary Sudha Sundararaman said that they will be monitoring the situation and if there is no development in the next 10 days, they will take to the streets again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30