CPI(M) women`s wing demands Kanda`s immediate arrest
New Delhi: Demanding immediate arrest of former Haryana Minister Gopal Kanda, accused of abetting the suicide of his former employee Geetika Sharma, CPI(M) women`s wing AIDWA on Friday said he should be declared an absconder and his property be attached.
Activists of AIDWA marched towards Haryana Bhavan and submitted a memorandum to the Haryana government expressing their outrage over the incident which has hogged headlines.
Demanding Kanda`s arrest without further delay, they said police should move court to declare him an absconder and his property be attached.
23-year-old Geetika committed suicide at her Ashok Vihar residence on August 5 and in her suicide note accused Kanda and Aruna Chadha of harassing her. Both Kanda and Chaddha have denied the allegation.
Addressing the protesters, CPI(M) Polit Bureau member Brinda Karat said, "This is shameful conduct from a politician and criminalization of politics. That he is still absconding and he was a minister in the Congress-led Hooda government shows that he enjoys political patronage. He`s trying to buy time and avoid police."
Condemning the labour contract which mentioned that Geetika had to meet him at the end of the day, Karat asserted that the country had no definite labour laws and it was totally outrageous on Kanda`s part to allegedly include such obligations in her contract.
"This is not a fight for getting Geetika justice but a fight for every woman. We will take this fight against sexual harassment forward," said Karat.
AIDWA National General Secretary Sudha Sundararaman said that they will be monitoring the situation and if there is no development in the next 10 days, they will take to the streets again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...