Curfew continues in Haryana town over youth`s killing
Gurgaon: Curfew clamped in Haryana`s Punhana town to curb any flare-up between two communities following the killing of a youth continued for the second day Sunday, police said.
Mewat district authorities had Saturday imposed curfew as a precautionary measure in Punhana, some 95 km from Gurgaon.
Tension escalated in the Meo-dominated region after the 22-year-old youth, Wajid, was found dead Friday night with bullet injuries.
Wajid, a resident of Nakanpur area of Punhana, was shot in the head, police said. His body was buried Saturday after post-mortem examination.
Authorities Sunday relaxed the curfew from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. but the majority of shops remained closed. No untoward incident was reported during this period.
Meanwhile, six police complaints - three each from the Meo (Muslim) and the Hindu communities - related to conflicts and clashes were lodged at Punhana police station.
Police said the death of Wajid was due to personal rivalry, since it was reported a day after clashes between two communities supporting the Indian National Lok Dal and the Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) on voting day April 10.
Mewat Deputy Commissioner R.C. Verma has also said the murder had nothing to with the clashes.
Police have registered a separate complaint over Wajid`s murder, in which nine people, including three Meos, have been named.
The nine - Raju, Rajkumar, Nigam, Ravi, Ratan Lal, Vinod, Islamuddin, Jubair Khan and Aslam - have been accused of murder. However, no one has been arrested so far.
Two companies of Central Reserve Police Force and Indo-Tibetan Border Police have been deployed in the area, while the army has been placed on stand-by, Verma said.
Meanwhile, BJP candidate from Gurgaon Rao Inderjeet Singh has demanded that Mewat deputy commissioner Verma and Superintendent of Police Anil Kumar Dhawan be transferred out for their alleged negligence in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi