Curfew in Haryana town after youth`s killing
handigarh/Gurgaon: Authorities in Haryana`s Mewat district on Saturday imposed curfew in Punhana town to curb any flare up between two communities following the killing of a youth from the minority community.
Mewat Deputy Commissioner Ramesh Chand Verma said curfew was imposed in Punhana, 375 km from here (130 km from Delhi), as a precautionary measure.
Curfew was imposed at 11 am but relaxed for two hours (5 pm to 7 pm). No untoward incident was reported during the relaxation period, police said.
The Army has been put on stand-by.
Though the administration denied that the killing of the youth, who belonged to a minority community, had anything to with Thursday`s (April 10) Lok Sabha polling in Haryana, the curfew was imposed as tension started building up between two communities.
The body of 24-year-old Wajid was found Friday evening. Earlier, a clash had taken place between activists of the Congress and the opposition Indian National Lok Dal.
Verma appealed to people not to believe in rumours and help maintain law and order.
"Teams of police personnel and paramilitary forces have been deployed at different places in the city," he said.
Wajid, a resident of Nakanpur area of Punhana, was shot in the head, police said. His body was buried Saturday after a post-mortem examination.
Nine people, including three Meos (Muslims) were booked for the murder, a police officer told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'