Curfew in Haryana town after youth`s killing
handigarh/Gurgaon: Authorities in Haryana`s Mewat district on Saturday imposed curfew in Punhana town to curb any flare up between two communities following the killing of a youth from the minority community.
Mewat Deputy Commissioner Ramesh Chand Verma said curfew was imposed in Punhana, 375 km from here (130 km from Delhi), as a precautionary measure.
Curfew was imposed at 11 am but relaxed for two hours (5 pm to 7 pm). No untoward incident was reported during the relaxation period, police said.
The Army has been put on stand-by.
Though the administration denied that the killing of the youth, who belonged to a minority community, had anything to with Thursday`s (April 10) Lok Sabha polling in Haryana, the curfew was imposed as tension started building up between two communities.
The body of 24-year-old Wajid was found Friday evening. Earlier, a clash had taken place between activists of the Congress and the opposition Indian National Lok Dal.
Verma appealed to people not to believe in rumours and help maintain law and order.
"Teams of police personnel and paramilitary forces have been deployed at different places in the city," he said.
Wajid, a resident of Nakanpur area of Punhana, was shot in the head, police said. His body was buried Saturday after a post-mortem examination.
Nine people, including three Meos (Muslims) were booked for the murder, a police officer told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why