Dalit girl gang-rape: Father kills self; one held
Hisar: Claiming a breakthrough in the alleged gang-rape of a teenage Dalit girl in Hisar, which prompted her father to commit suicide, police said they have arrested one accused who revealed there were 11 others involved in the crime.
Hisar police chief B Satheesh Balan said the accused, arrested on Saturday, has revealed names of the other 11 accused and they will be arrested soon.
The incident had sparked furore as irate residents of Dabra village staged protest demanding immediate arrest of people accused in the crime.
It was only after assurances by Deputy Commissioner Amit Kumar Aggarwal and Superintendent of Police Balan that the protesters allowed the body of victim`s father Krishan, who had committed suicide after the incident, to be taken for post-mortem.
His body was later cremated at his native village on Sunday.
"We will support the family in whatever way we can, also will take into account that such crimes are not committed and the people found guilty are punished," said Geeta Bhukkal, the Haryana education minister.
Meanwhile, opposition INLD`s leader Ajay Singh Chautala has also demanded immediate arrest of all the remaining accused.
The teenage Dalit girl was allegedly raped by a group of men who had also threatened to make public her objectionable pictures, following which her shocked father committed suicide on September 18.
"At times the victims due to shock become hostile. For seven days the girl also didn`t speak and after she spoke, the inquiry started. Those boys who made her MMS must be punished," said Nina Nayak, member, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR).
A case was registered by the police under Sections 376 for rape and 306 for abetment to suicide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered