Dalit girl gang-rape: Father kills self; one held
Hisar: Claiming a breakthrough in the alleged gang-rape of a teenage Dalit girl in Hisar, which prompted her father to commit suicide, police said they have arrested one accused who revealed there were 11 others involved in the crime.
Hisar police chief B Satheesh Balan said the accused, arrested on Saturday, has revealed names of the other 11 accused and they will be arrested soon.
The incident had sparked furore as irate residents of Dabra village staged protest demanding immediate arrest of people accused in the crime.
It was only after assurances by Deputy Commissioner Amit Kumar Aggarwal and Superintendent of Police Balan that the protesters allowed the body of victim`s father Krishan, who had committed suicide after the incident, to be taken for post-mortem.
His body was later cremated at his native village on Sunday.
"We will support the family in whatever way we can, also will take into account that such crimes are not committed and the people found guilty are punished," said Geeta Bhukkal, the Haryana education minister.
Meanwhile, opposition INLD`s leader Ajay Singh Chautala has also demanded immediate arrest of all the remaining accused.
The teenage Dalit girl was allegedly raped by a group of men who had also threatened to make public her objectionable pictures, following which her shocked father committed suicide on September 18.
"At times the victims due to shock become hostile. For seven days the girl also didn`t speak and after she spoke, the inquiry started. Those boys who made her MMS must be punished," said Nina Nayak, member, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR).
A case was registered by the police under Sections 376 for rape and 306 for abetment to suicide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing