Dalit girl raped, attempts suicide in Sonepat
Chandigarh: A 17-year-old Dalit girl, who was allegedly raped by her neighbour five days ago, attempted suicide by setting herself on fire in Sonepat district of Haryana, police said on Saturday.
The girl set herself on fire after pouring kerosene on herself yesterday when her parents were not at home in Kharkhouda town of the district. She was admitted to PGIMS in Rohtak where doctors said she was in a critical state.
"The girl is in a critical condition," SP, Sonepat, Anil Nehra said over phone.
He said the girl in her statement before a Magistrate yesterday alleged that she was raped, by one Rakesh who was her neighbour, five days back.
Nehra said the accused has been arrested within an hour of registration of FIR lodged by the mother of the victim and a case of rape had been slapped on him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?