Dalit girl raped, attempts suicide in Sonepat
Chandigarh: A 17-year-old Dalit girl, who was allegedly raped by her neighbour five days ago, attempted suicide by setting herself on fire in Sonepat district of Haryana, police said on Saturday.
The girl set herself on fire after pouring kerosene on herself yesterday when her parents were not at home in Kharkhouda town of the district. She was admitted to PGIMS in Rohtak where doctors said she was in a critical state.
"The girl is in a critical condition," SP, Sonepat, Anil Nehra said over phone.
He said the girl in her statement before a Magistrate yesterday alleged that she was raped, by one Rakesh who was her neighbour, five days back.
Nehra said the accused has been arrested within an hour of registration of FIR lodged by the mother of the victim and a case of rape had been slapped on him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!