Dalit girl raped, attempts suicide in Sonepat
Chandigarh: A 17-year-old Dalit girl, who was allegedly raped by her neighbour five days ago, attempted suicide by setting herself on fire in Sonepat district of Haryana, police said on Saturday.
The girl set herself on fire after pouring kerosene on herself yesterday when her parents were not at home in Kharkhouda town of the district. She was admitted to PGIMS in Rohtak where doctors said she was in a critical state.
"The girl is in a critical condition," SP, Sonepat, Anil Nehra said over phone.
He said the girl in her statement before a Magistrate yesterday alleged that she was raped, by one Rakesh who was her neighbour, five days back.
Nehra said the accused has been arrested within an hour of registration of FIR lodged by the mother of the victim and a case of rape had been slapped on him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Could 3D printing save our coral reefs? - Watch
- Ranbir Kapoor has a Bollywood style icon and he is a BIGGIE!
- Yemen suicide bombing: At least 45 dead so far
- West Bengal renamed as 'Bangla' in Bengali, 'Bengal' in English; state assembly passes resolution
- Massive reef ecosystem found hiding behind Great Barrier Reef