Dalits stopped from performing Holi puja in Haryana village
Rohtak: Schedule Caste (SC) families were stopped from performing Holi pooja and assaulted allegedly by the members of upper caste at Jahangirpur village of Jhajjar district of Haryana.
Police have started investigation into the matter but no case was registered in this regard even after two days of the incident.
The SC families have threatened to leave the village if the accused are not arrested by the police after registering a criminal case against them.
A sizable number of people of Schedule Caste today met Jhajjar district police chief, Anil Dhawan, at his office and demanded registration of criminal case against the accused, alleging that they had been living in a state of trauma since the incident while the accused were roaming openly in the village.
They also urged deployment of sufficient number of police personnel at the village to avoid any untoward incident.
While interacting with mediapersons here, Brahma Nand, a man belonging to SC, said they had been performing Holi pooja separately from the upper caste for several years to avoid any untoward incident during the festival.
However, "the people of the upper caste not only misbehaved with women of our families by using derogatory languages but also prevented them from performing Holi pooja on Tuesday. The women and children were also manhandled when they resisted the act," alleged Brahma Nand.
Poonam, a woman, said they would have to leave the village if action was not taken against the accused in this regard.
The police authorities should ensure the safety and security of the SC families in the village, she added.
Anil Dhawan told a news agency that the case was being probed as people of upper caste also suffered injuries in the clash.
They had also met him and demanded a fair investigation into the matter.
"Statements of people of both the parties are being recorded to ascertain the facts. No one found guilty in the probe will be spared," said the SP, adding the case would be registered after the preliminary investigation.
He said police personnel were sent to the village immediately after getting the information about violence between the groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH