Dishonour killing: Father kills newly-married daughter in Haryana
Karnal: A newly-married woman, who had been missing for the past few months, is believed to have been allegedly murdered by her own father and other relatives in this Haryana district, police said here on Sunday.
The Haryana Police here have launched an investigation to unravel the mystery behind the woman going missing.
Police have arrested her father, Rajbir, maternal uncle Rajinder and an accomplice Surinder for the murder of Kusum, aged about 21 years.
According to police, Kusum had married Karambir July 5 last year after eloping from her house in village Sadarpur near Gharaunda town of Karnal district, 150 km from Chandigarh.
The newly-married couple stayed in a safe house of the Haryana Police till July 18, and later shifted to the house of Karambir`s parents in adjoining Kurukshetra district.
On Oct 16, Kusum complained to police in Shahbad town that her husband used to beat and torture her and said that she wanted to go back to her parents.
She then came to the house of her maternal uncle and stayed there till Oct 30. On her complaint given on Dec 29, a case of dowry harassment and intimidation was registered against her husband (Karambir) and his parents, police said.
On Jan 6, Karambir filed a complaint with police that Kusum was missing since Oct 16. Following this, the district police in Karnal constituted a special team to investigate the matter.
"On Jan 7, this special team arrested her father, Rajbir. He confessed that he had murdered his daughter on Oct 30 with the help of his two juvenile sons and had then buried her dead body in the courtyard of his house," a police spokesman said.
"On Nov 2, Rajbir, his brother-in-law Rajinder and one more accused, Surinder, dug out the dead body, transported it in a car and threw it in a canal," the spokesman said.
Following this, police arrested Rajinder and Surinder, he added.
Police are now trying to recover the body of Kusum from the canal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31